Dell is a respected brand that manufactures anything from budget laptops to business and gaming, so whatever type of laptop you may be looking for, they probably have it. However, there are so many Dell laptops and models out there that knowing what’s available in terms of best-performing in each category makes things a whole lot easier when you’re shopping for a machine.
Narrowing down your choices comes down to first deciding which type of Dell laptop you need. Laptops today fall into mainly four categories, which are budget or cheaper laptops, work or business laptops, student laptops and gaming laptops. Once you’ve got this covered, it’s time to skim through the models and see exactly what Dell offers.
Note that some laptop models may fit into more than one category because manufacturers – in this case, Dell design them as such. And remember this is meant to help you make an informed decision. Before actually making a purchase, consider reading more about the features as well as reviews, everything widely available with a simple search online. If you are looking for the best laptop offers of the year, then shop the Dell Black Friday Laptop Deals available every year in store and online.
Laptops for school use (also home use)
One of the company’s computer product lines is Dell Inspiron mainly targeting entry-level consumers and providing affordable machines. This is not always their cheapest option, however. For anyone looking for a computer with basic functionality and for browsing online, some Dell Chromebooks are the least expensive within their product lines.
Dell Chromebooks are great for children and students that only need to perform simple tasks. Some options to consider in this category are (best features included):
- Dell Chromebook 3189 Education 2-in-1: long-lasting battery, convertible, tough-built.
- Dell Chromebook 11: sturdy design, loud stereo speakers, 180-degree barrel hinge.
- Dell Chromebook 13: slender, light, long battery life.
And some of the best Inspiron laptops:
- Dell Inspiron 11 3000 Series 2-in-1 (3179): budget convertible, comfortable to type, excellent viewing angles.
- Dell Inspiron 11 (3162): long-lasting battery life, solid audio, light and thin.
- Dell Inspiron 14 (5447): light, sturdy hinge, decent integrated graphics.
Business productive laptops (also for productivity at home)
A good business laptop has to combine four main features:
- Be lightweight, and thin so it’s carried easily throughout the day.
- Have long battery life, so it lasts through a working day and more if working remote.
- Power to meet business functionality.
Dell work laptops include professional versions of the operating system and features that easily distinguish them from consumer models. The Dell Latitude brand is for business-performing. Here are 3 recommended models.
- Dell Latitude 7280: superior battery life, comfortable keyboard and easy typing, compact footprint, full HD resolution.
- Dell Latitude 15 3000 (3570): durable design, built to withstand shocks and vibrations, superior battery life.
- Dell business laptops in other lines to consider are Dell Precision 5000 (5510) and Dell XPS 13 Non-Touch.
Gaming performance laptops
High-resolution graphics and epic sound are considered two main features of gaming laptops. Dell offers solid performance in this category with a dedicated brand. Dell Alienware has a good reputation among gamers and offers plenty of solid gaming systems. Some options to consider include:
- Alienware 17 R4 (2017): epic performance, larger screen, sturdy design, well-built keyboard, and touchpad.
- Dell Inspiron 15 7000 (7567): budget gaming laptop, powerful, stylish design, reasonably sized, plenty of connectivity options.
- Dell XPS 13: full HD display, zippy performance, great battery life, soft-touch, attractive design.