Protein balls are some of the best foods you can consume prior or after a workout. They can be made from various ingredients, usually dates being the primary ingredient.
Others include oats, oat flour, coconut flour, cocoa, raisins, flaxseed, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, nuts and other dried fruits.
Protein balls made with dates hold together very well since the dates are sticky, which is why they make such a wonderful ingredient for vegan sweets.
Here is how to make protein balls using dates and other healthy ingredients
• Use a food processor to process the dates or chop them by hand using a finely sharp knife.
If you need to chop the dates by hand, make sure you use soft dates so they’re easier to mash. Softer dates bring together all of the ingredients a lot easier.
• Put the dates in a large bowl and start adding other of your preferred ingredients. Lots of people add flours to the recipe for improved nutrition and texture. These are flours that you can consume without baking and include flours made from almonds, coconut, oats and quinoa.
Flours such as quinoa are a great ingredient to add to protein balls as they contain nutrients and vitamins that replenish your body and bring many health benefits.
• Add seeds and nuts to your liking, starting with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flaxseeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds and sesame seeds among others.
You can choose seeds that contain the most beneficial nutrients for your health or simply use the ones you have available in your house.
• Honey can be added or chocolate chips if you prefer your protein balls on the sweet side. If you choose to add chocolate chips, preferably use dark chocolate.
Dark chocolate is healthier and contains nutrients such as magnesium, selenium, phosphorus, potassium.
• Next, finely chop nuts like walnuts, almonds, cashews, pistachios and add to the ingredients. You can make your own flour blending any of the nuts if you prefer or add the nuts chopped for crunchiness.
Bring everything together and then use a tablespoon to form into balls. Protein balls are great for snacking and are a good alternative for trail mixes.
Remember you can create your own recipe adding other ingredients that you like, such as coconut oil, cocoa powder, dried raspberries, other dried fruit and spices such as turmeric.
Protein balls also called energy balls provide fuel for workouts, as not only do they contain protein and carbohydrates but also healthy fats and fiber. They help build muscle mass and help repair the body after a workout.